Located in Toronto’s Davenport Neighbourhood, near Seaton Village and The Annex, Christie Gardens Apartments & Care has been serving elders in Toronto for over 30 years.
Christie Gardens is unlike any other retirement community in Toronto. Kings and Queens graciously visited the famed Christie Veteran’s Hospital formerly located on this site. Today, Christie Gardens is home to many who have discovered living here as a truly engaging experience.
A COMMUNITY YOU CAN HAVE FAITH IN
Residents at Christie Gardens have access to additional on-site care and services and the assurance that if more care is required, a move away from home at Christie will not be necessary. Now that is a community you can have faith in!
Check out our Google Virtual Tour and call us Today for a Personal Tour: (416) 530-1330
- Get healthy tips and news geared toward active elders. Our Wellness Quarterly Winter 2022 Issue is now available.
Back in March 2020, we heard from friends and family who were looking for ways to help as we dealt with the challenges posed by COVID-19. We always want to assure our stakeholders that “we’ve got this”, but these were (and are!) extraordinary times.
In response to the financial challenges posed by the pandemic, The Christie Gardens Foundation established a Staff Care Fund to assist Christie Gardens staff with costs associated with living in isolation away from their families, personal protective equipment, and other COVID-related items.
When we established the fund initially we were overwhelmed by the response and we continue to be especially grateful for the notes and letters of support, which we share with the team.
For more information on The Christie Gardens Foundation, including ways to donate, visit: christiegardensfoundation.org. To make a donation online visit our partner: CanadaHelps.org
Christie Gardens was the first not-for-profit community in Toronto offering a true continuum, with choices to suit your lifestyle and needs. Our commitment to the continuum model can be seen in everything we do.
- Life Lease Suites
- 84 Life Lease Suites
- Opened in 2003
- 11 One Bedroom
- 73 Two Bedroom
- Purchase prices from $600,000
- Rental Apartments
- 217 Rental Suites
- Renovated for each new Resident
- 192 One Bedroom
- 25 Two Bedroom
- starting at $3,400/month
- Courtyard Community
- A Resident-centred social model that follows the Eden Alternative Philosophy
- 83 Private Rooms
- 2 Premium Rooms
- starting at $8,000/month
Several floorplans are available for Rental Apartments and Life Lease Suites. Here are two typical floorplans including our newest, the Sunflower (coming soon):
Services and Amenities
Our on-site services and amenities allow for a unique lifestyle for every resident:
- Computer Lab
- Hobby Room
- Pastoral Care
- Beauty Salon
- Dining Hostess
- Fitness Centre
- Guest Suites
- Personal Trainers
- Private Dining Room
- Recreation Room
- Wellness Centre
- Convenience Store
- Emergency Medical Response
- Games Room
- Guest Parking
- Massage Therapy
- Public Patios
Our Programmes and groups offer a variety of social and educational opportunities.
- Multi-denominational Services
- Spanish Club
- Musical Performances
- Bible Study
- Men's Club
- Day Trips
- Christie Chorale
- Wellness Advisory Group
- Library Committee
- Dining Committee
- French Club
- Lecture Series
- Book Club
- Art Class
- Film Society
- Creative Writing
- Gardening Group
- Ecology Group
- German Language
Whether it is a monthly tea, or an annual event with hundreds of guests, our events are not to be missed.
- Healthy Living Fair
- Canada Day Celebration
- Special Dinners
- Birthday Lunches
- Holly Sale and Luncheon
- Taste of the Nations
- Christmas Open House
- Floor Teas
- Foundation Tea & Conversation
- Garage Sales
At Christie Gardens one of our greatest commitments is that of improving the quality of life of our residents. Central to this is the Wellness Team – an amalgamation of fitness, physiotherapy and clinic-based offerings. Our primary goal is to serve you, the resident, as effectively as possible with regards to your health and fitness needs.
Communication and collaboration form the foundation in our efforts to assist you with your health concerns.
The Christie Gardens Wellness Centre is often the first point of contact for residents in need of assistance.
Our knowledgeable staff will gladly assist you achieve your goals. We encourage all residents to stop by, even if it is only for a coffee and quick hello!
The Wellness Centre works with the Fitness and Physiotherapy departments, together we form a team committed to effective management of your overall well-being. Our goal is to provide you with onsite, personalized health management that is adaptable to your changing needs.
In addition to our onsite Doctors and Nurses, the following services are available by appointment through the Wellness Centre:
- Hearing Aid Specialist
- Dietary Consultant
- Optometry Consultant
- Foot Care
Fitness and Physiotherapy
Residents come to fitness classes with the goals of improving energy, increasing mobility and strength, improving balance, and decreasing joint pain.
We have developed the following programs in order to meet our resident’s goals:
- One on one personal training sessions: receive an individualized fitness program and learn how to safely perform exercises;
- Exercise Class Series: Four levels of group fitness programming in support of your goals. Each level is designed to challenge your body and help you reach higher levels of fitness; and
- Stretch & Strengthen Class (open to all): focus on achieving a deeper sense of peace and contentment, while gaining clarity of mind through focused breathing techniques.
The benefits of physiotherapy include pain reduction, basic strength and joint range improvements, and so much more.
By means of therapeutic exercises and other modalities, our physiotherapy team will assist in restoring, improving, and maintaining physical function affected by injury, surgery, or disability.
Examples of treatment include:
- Full body, mobility and fall risk assessments;
- 1:1 physiotherapy treatment twice a week utilizing a variety of modalities including ultrasound, heating pads and TENS machines;
- Parkinson's Group Class twice a week: this dynamic class focuses on balance, proprioception and full body coordination, while incorporating the use of balls, floor ladders and balance boards; and
- 1:1 Balance and gait analysis and training.
The Fuss over Food
There is a fuss about food at Christie Gardens.
Chef Stephane has been preparing delicious and nutritious meals at Christie Gardens for 30 years.
Stephane’s expertise, vision, and execution are second to none and he looks forward to many more years of presenting culinary delights to the Christie Gardens community.
Our focus is on providing the highest quality food and service possible. Elegant or Casual, the choice is yours.
- Maple Dining Room
- The Maple Dining Room features fine dining where residents are free to take advantage of "any time" dining.
- The Store
- Providing everyday essentials and delicious fresh take away meals.
- The Village Cafe
- A perfect meeting spot to catch up with friends and family.
- Catering Services
- Offering a variety of options from Afternoon Tea to Anniversary Dinners.
The Gardens of Christie Gardens
You will love our gardens.
From our fully enclosed Courtyard Garden to our public gardens, everyone enjoys the green spaces at Christie Gardens. We even have herb gardens whose bounty is used by our Chef and his talented team of cooks!
Our Courtyard Garden and Wychwood patios are the venue for various programmes and activities in the summer months.
Our grounds and public gardens feature benches and seating for all – they are enjoyed by residents whenever the weather permits.
An Oasis in the City
Adjacent to our South Garden is the Frankel Lambert Community Garden, recently designated by the City of Toronto and enjoyed by our residents and nearby friends in the community.
The Christie Gardens Foundation
Grounded in the past. Caring for the future.
Established in 1998, The Christie Gardens Foundation is the charity arm of Christie Gardens. Year round fundraising efforts raise money to support The Capital Campaign, our Benevolent Fund, and our Research and Education Opportunities.
In 2020, responding to the COVID-19 pandemic, we established a Staff Care Fund.
The Christie Gardens Foundation accepts donations by cash or cheque, or using a credit card or securities online through our partner, CanadaHelps.org.
You can read more about the Foundation and our priorities and programmes in our Newsletters below.
- DECEMBER 2021
- DECEMBER 2020
- JUNE 2019
- Christie Gardens Benevolent Fund
- The Benevolent Fund is fully supported by The Christie Gardens Foundation and was established in 2009 to assist our residents who have outlived their financial resources and who are unable to cover the full cost of their care.
- Capital Campaign
- Established to assist in the redevelopment of our Courtyard Community, we are now raising funds for our Let's Keep Moving campaign. We plan to develop a 1,000 square foot Fitness and Physio Centre on our ground floor.
- Research and Education
- Understanding the importance of education and training as they relate to our internal culture change initiatives, we have begun to look more broadly at available opportunities for The Christie Gardens Foundation to support and champion new education opportunities with local institutions.
- Staff Care Fund
- Established during the COVID-19 pandemic by The Christie Gardens Foundation, the Staff Care Fund was established to assist Christie Gardens staff with costs associated with living in isolation away from their families.
Our Mission is to raise funds to develop programmes that serve elders, inspire peers, influence policy-makers, and foster research and education
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Director of Community Life
Director of Human Resources and Administration
Director of Health and Wellness
Director of Dining Services
Director of Sales and Marketing
Director of Education and Advocacy